Archive for September, 2012
The ASPIRE community gathered on Monday 9/17 at 7pm to welcome new members and rekindle continuing bonds. Officers Katie, Ellenie, Sai, Kevin and Arpita gave an overview of the organization’s mission and the fall semester program plan. Twenty-five new students have completed membership forms for fall 2012, ASPIRE membership is now at an all time high of 79 active members.
In addition to outlining a very interesting meeting agenda that includes sessions on Teaching in Different Environments, Teaching with Technology, Classroom Management, and Planning Ahead to Get Employment in Your Field, the Officers generated a lot of excitement during their presentation on this year’s service project. ASPIRE will launch All Students Aspire (ASA), a peer academic leadership program for high school students, at Newark High School in mid-October.
The immediate past president of ASPIRE, Quindara Lazenbury, sat front and center during the meeting to cheer the new leaders forward. As is her style, Quindara gave each one a special hug, at the end of the meeting.
ATTEND ASPIRE’S WELCOME BACK MEETING!
When? Monday, September 17th
Where? Sharp Rm. 100
COME OUT, MEET SOME NEW PEOPLE, AND LEARN ABOUT THE AMAZING THINGS ASPIRE HAS TO OFFER
Like! Our Page: http://www.facebook.com/UDASPIRE
The Office of Academic Enrichment is a valuable campus resource. AS an ACTIVE ASPIRE member, you qualify for financial support for tutoring. Funds for this support are limited, but we are typically able to honor most requests. YOUR GRADE POINT AVERAGE IS IMPORTANT. Get tutoring if you need it. Visit our Get Involved page for a calendar listing of helpful workshops and study skills development sessions.
TUTORING Individual Tutoring. Students can visit our office to check the TutorFind directory of available tutors for one-on-one work. Undergraduate tutors are available for $11.50/hr; graduate tutors are $14.50/hr.
- Drop-In Tutoring. Two hours a day, five days a week, drop-in tutoring is available in math, chemistry and physics.
- Group Tutoring. Free group tutoring in a number of courses is offered each semester. Groups are formed in response to student requests.
- Nfoshare Online Tutoring. This new feature (using Facebook) is available for selected classes.
STUDY SKILLS ASSISTANCE
- Workshops at the OAE. Attached is a copy of our fall workshop schedule. We appreciate your posting this schedule where it will be visible to students visiting your department; feel free to make as many copies as you wish.
- Online workshops: Your Roadmap to Success (http://www.udel.edu/AEC-workshop/). These workshops are designed to help students identify skill areas they need to improve in, to practice new techniques, and to evaluate their progress.
- Study Skills course (UNIV113). This one-credit pass/fail course includes comprehensive coverage of strategies for successful studying, which are then put to use in a concurrent “target class” of the student’s choice. While the course is aimed at freshmen and sophomores, exceptions can be made for other students when needed.
- Academic Intake appointments. Any student can meet with one of our staff members to assess his/her current study strategies and develop a plan for strengthening those strategies. In particular, students in academic difficulty can benefit from this one-on-one academic counseling.
The OAE Newsletter provides a quick overview of our offerings for you to share with your students.
To review it, and for more details on OAE programs, visit our website: www.ae.udel.edu
We appreciate your referrals and look forward to assisting all students who wish to strengthen their skills.
Saturday September 1,2012
Thanks to ASPIRE leaders and members who came out during the holiday weekend to welcome freshmen and support the Cultural Programming Board’s block party. It was a hot but festive day, and as always ASPIRE Represented!!! HUGE thanks to Amber, Arpita, Eleenie, Sai, Kevin, Lorene and Anh…they are the first to host an event using the new ASPIRE banner!!
Several students took information and expressed an interest in learning more about ASPIRE.
Monday September 17th at 7pm in Sharp Lab 100: We hope to see many new and familiar faces at the Welcome to Campus meeting. Join ASPIRE leaders Katie, Elleenie, Morgan, Sai, Kevin and Arpita in starting a new and exciting ASPIRE year!!!
We will also announce the Fall 2012 Hearst Scholarship recipients during the Welcome to Campus Meeting. This prestigious $6,000 scholarship award is made to senior teacher education majors with the most competitive grade point averages who have been active in ASPIRE during their entire undergrad careers at UD.
Tuesday September 18 from 10AM-Noon in the Perkins Scrounge
Join ASPIRE director, Dr. Melva Ware, for Cookies and Conversation. Get to know other ASPIRE members and former leaders in a relaxed atmosphere. Learn about scholarship and professional networking opportunities. Make an appointment to stop by the ASPIRE office for a private chat, specifically if you have campus adjustment or financial aid concerns.
Our office has moved to 204E…same building and floor but a more cozy space…come by and check it out!!!